FC: Hillary Clinton suggests a national ID card for U.S. citizens

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 17:44:04 PST

    From: "Singleton, Norman" <Norman.Singletonat_private>
    Subject: FW: Hillary calls for national ID
    Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:14:21 -0500

      http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecover.shtml?a=2003/2/11/120029

    ---

        Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2003 11:54 a.m. EST

        Hillary Calls for National ID Card

        Saying that she is strongly opposed to "illegal immigrants," New York
        Sen. Hillary Clinton announced Tuesday that she would support a
        national identification card for U.S. citizens if other measures to
        keep illegals out of the country failed.

        "I am, you know, adamantly against illegal immigrants," Clinton told
        WABC Radio's John Gambling. Then, a few moments later, the Democratic
        Party presidential front-runner added, "We might have to move towards
        an ID system even for citizens."

        Clinton said she would support a national ID card as part of an
        overall effort to improve the U.S.'s national security.

        "Clearly, we have to make some tough decisions as a country," the top
        Democrat warned. "And one of them ought to be coming up with a much
        better entry and exit system so that if we're going to let people in
        for the work that otherwise would not be done, let's have a system
        that keeps track of them."

        [...]