FC: SpamArrest replies to Politech, defends its right to spam

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 11:09:59 PST

    I thank SpamArrest for replying, but the problem with SpamArrest's argument
    is this: People who want to send mail to their customers must type in a
    keyword to verify that they're human and not a spambot. But nowhere on that
    page does SpamArrest admit that if you do it, you'll be getting spammed
    yourself. Even after you type in the word, there is no such notice, and I
    couldn't find a clear and unambiguous mention in the privacy policy. Here's
    an example of the sender-verification scheme:
    http://spamarrest.com/a?68689800:53525

    What SpamArrest is doing is similar to Microsoft spamming everyone who ever
    sent mail to your hotmail.com account, or AOL spamming everyone who emailed
    an aol.com account, and so on. But it's even worse because SpamArrest -- as
    a purported anti-spam service whose website warns users of the
    "exponentially increasing problem of spam" -- should know better.