FC: Kent State student paper says school will rate-limit P2P users

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 13 2003 - 19:12:07 PST

    Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:03:45 -0500
    From: jcarrach <jcarrachat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: University bandwidth limiting - thought you may be interested

    Hey Declan,

    I'm the university operations reporter for my college paper at Kent State. I
    cover most of the tech issues here. This is a story I reported today:

    http://stater.kent.edu
    "In attempt to the curb Internet slowdowns and network instability that have
    plagued the campus network in the past, Network Services and Residence
    Services have added equipment, boosted bandwidth and re-organized the campus
    network during the past few weeks.

    University officials say much of the problems in residence halls have
    originated from students who use more than their fair share of bandwidth, the
    amount of data that can be sent at one time. Now, the university is working to
    limit the amount of bandwidth a student can use.

    [...]

    University officials want to stem bandwidth-sucking programs like Morpheus by
    implementing packeteers, a combination of hardware and software that
    prioritizes Web activity.

    Network Services Manager Bob Hart said two packeteers are currently placed
    between the university network and the Internet. These devices are set up to
    give priority to certain Internet activity, such as Web page browsing, but not
    file sharing."

    Jamie Carracher

    University Operations Reporter
    Daily Kent Stater