FC: ACLU replies to Politech, says exposed email was not to members

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 15:46:37 PST

    "Whoops! ACLU exposes email addresses -- just like Eli Lilly?"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-04494.html

    What, no double opt-in? :)

    From: Emily Whitfield <EWHITFIELDat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: aclu newsletter
    Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 18:04:32 -0500

    Declan,

    I wanted to respond to Jim Harper's note about the mistake that happened
    with the ACLU e-newsletter mailing.

    We are truly sorry that the recipients of our debut Safe and Free Newsletter
    received a communication that revealed the emails of other recipients.  But
    contrary to Jim Harper's note, the recipient list was not compiled from
    lists of ACLU members or people who sought to affiliate themselves with the
    ACLU. We created the database from scratch, and we got the emails by calling
    around to these organizations and asking for them, as anyone could do.

    To our knowledge, the recipients on this list -- which include social
    justice, legal and civil right organizations, national and community leaders
    and other public figures -- were sent this email based on their public
    advocacy of the issues the newsletter addresses. As the newsletter notes,
    those who do not want to receive the newsletter can unsubscribe.

    While we are truly sorry about the mistake, we are proud of the newsletter
    and the work it represents.  We hope that those who share our concerns about
    the government's assault on our liberties will continue to subscribe to Safe
    and Free News and will continue their own advocacy on these important
    issues.

    Emily Whitfield
    Media Relations Director
    American Civil Liberties Union