FC: Noah Shachtman: "How I Snuck Into Los Alamos"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 08:05:06 PST

    Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 07:48:51 -0800 (PST)
    From: Noah Shachtman <noahmax6000at_private>
    Subject: FC: How I Snuck Into Los Alamos
    To: declanat_private

    Declan:

    I snuck into Los Alamos, the world's top nuclear
    research center, over the weekend.   I thought
    Politech readers might want to see my story on how I
    did it.

    I think the article raises serious questions about the
    safety of our country's nuclear secrets.  So if group
    members could spread the word about this to friends
    and colleagues, I'd very much appreciate it.

    --

    "There are no armed guards to knock out. No sensors to
    deactivate. No surveillance cameras to cripple. To

    "I should know. On Saturday morning, I slipped into
    and out of a top-secret area of the lab while guards
    sat, unaware, less than a hundred yards away.

    "Despite the nation's heightened terror alert status,
    despite looming congressional hearings into the lab's
    mismanagement and slack-jawed security, an untrained
    person -- armed with only the vaguest sense of the
    facility's layout and slowed by a torn Achilles tendon
    -- was able to repeatedly gain access to the
    birthplace of the atom bomb..."

    For details -- and pictures -- click on over to my
    Wired News story here:
    http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,57792,00.html

    Or go to www.wired.com.

    Additional items on this story can be found at Defense
    Tech (www.defensetech.org OR
    defensetech.blogspot.com), my website devoted to
    technology and national security issues.

    Best,

    nms

    =====
    Noah Shachtman