FC: Ashcroft tells Congress that Patriot Act II is a ghost, from IP

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2003 - 05:29:25 PST

    ------ Forwarded Message
    From: "Meeks, Brock (MSNBCi)" <Brock.Meeksat_private>
    Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 09:23:30 -0800
    To: "'daveat_private'" <daveat_private>
    Subject: Ashcroft: Patriot II is a ghost

    Sen. Russ Feingold just a few minutes ago during a hearing this morning on
    Homeland Security asked Atty. Gen. Ashcroft why he hadn't come to Congress
    to discuss provision of the "Patriot Act II."

    Ashcroft replied, categorically, that "there is no Patriot Act II.  That
    said, it doesn't mean that we aren't constantly thinking and discussing how
    to make things better, safer," Ashcroft said.  "So if there are some
    leaks... it's about what we've been thinking," Ashcroft said.

    "There has been no bill decided on, no proposal decided on," Ashcroft
    said.  "It would be the height of absurdity to have a bill I want to make
    law without informing Congress first."

    Feingold wasn't buying what Ashcroft was saying.  "Well, there is something
    out there," Feingold shot back, "and I'd appreciate you coming to Congress
    first."

    Ashcroft finished off saying that "Until I think we have something
    appropriate" to discuss "I don't think we should engage in debate on
    something until it's appropriate."

    ------ End of Forwarded Message