FC: Photos from library filtering case before Supreme Court today

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2003 - 17:05:04 PST

    I've placed photos from today's Supreme Court arguments over the
    "Children's Internet Protection Act" up at mccullagh.org. There's the
    American Library Association and American Civil Liberties Union
    lawyers:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/cipa-supreme-court-mar03.html

    And the anti-porn advocates on the other side:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/cipa-antiporn-supreme-court-mar03.html

    Here's Rep. Ernest Istook (R-Ok):
    http://www.mccullagh.org/image/d30-34/ernest-istook-cipa.html

    Who was there with an aide handing out the below press release. Here's one
    from the Family Research Council too:
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030305/phw016_1.html

    Oh, and here's what happened inside:
    http://news.com.com/2100-1028-991199.html

    http://www.house.gov/istook/Libfiltr.htm

        IMMEDIATE RELEASE
        March 05, 2003 Contact: Micah Swafford
        202-225-2132

             Istook Says Filtering Crucial to Future of Public Libraries

        Washington, DC
        -- Congressman Ernest Istook (R-OK) today attended oral arguments
        before the Supreme Court regarding the constitutionality of the
        Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA).

        "What's at stake in this case is the future of America's public
        libraries,"
        said Istook, the principal author of the Children's Internet
        Protection Act (CIPA). "If the Supreme Court rules that libraries must
        provide access to all materials, then our libraries will become
        nothing more than glorified government-funded adult bookstores. We
        support libraries with tax dollars because they provide valuable
        information and education materials. If libraries aren't allowed to
        protect kids, we have to question if we should use tax dollars to
        support them."

        Istook was formerly the chairman of the Metropolitan Library System
        Board in Oklahoma City. He expressed confidence that the Supreme Court
        would uphold the law.

        "The solicitor general made an excellent case,"
        said Istook. "It's common sense that we shouldn't use taxpayers' money
        to subsidize children's access to Internet pornography. Time and again
        the Supreme Court has agreed that we can put reasonable restrictions
        on how we spend taxpayer's money, especially in situations like this.
        This law doesn't censor anything, but it does refuse to subsidize
        pornography that's aimed at kids."

        CIPA requires that public libraries install filters to block obscenity
        on computers paid for with federal funds to which children have
        access. CIPA became law in December 2000, when Istook successfully
        attached it as a rider on an appropriations bill. The American Civil
        Liberties Union (ACLU) and the American Library Association (ALA)
        filed suit against the law in March 2001 claiming that it would censor
        constitutionally-protected speech. In May 2002, a three-judge
        Philadelphia appellate court struck down the law. Today, the Supreme
        Court heard oral arguments in United States v. American Library
        Association to decide whether or not they will overturn the
        Philadelphia court's decision.

                                         -30-