FC: Politech member's advice as he leaves for Army Basic Training

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 07:35:52 PST

    Subject: Into the fire
    From: Ryan Marsh <meat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Date: 10 Mar 2003 15:44:13 -0600

    Declan,

    Tomorrow morning I leave for Army Basic Training. My MOS (Military
    Occupation Specialty) will be Airborne Infantry. Up until now I've
    always utilized my Right to Freedom of Speech, I've always been very
    interested in, and constructively critical of, U.S. domestic and foreign
    policy. I will no longer be in the position to excercise those rights
    liberally as a dissenting citizen. I am now an instrument of war. My
    duty to my country is now to "obey the orders of the President of the
    United States and the orders of the Officers appointed over me according
    to the regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice."

    I am no longer in a position to question, that is why I want every
    Politech reader to take very seriously the freedoms they hold, and the
    control they exert over the political process.

    If you send me to war, send me with decisive force. If you oppose the
    war I am fighting, please do not oppose me. I might oppose the war too,
    but I am willing to give my life that you might live in freedom.

    I am joining up with a healthy realization of what is about to take
    place in the Middle East (and possibly N. Korea), but I have great hope.
    I heard an author on C-SPAN Book TV once say (and I'm paraphrasing):
    A hundred years ago the state of relations between states in Europe was
    war, fifty years ago the world was fighting a genocidal megalomanic,
    twenty years ago there was still great question as to whether free
    markets or planned economies would become the economic foundation of
    Europe. Let's give them [the Middle East] some time.

    Long before the idea gained popularity in the media, I was preaching the
    positive impact that institutions of democracy and a western-friendly
    gov't in Iraq could have on that entire region. The encouragement it
    would provide to Iran, the de-throning of Saudi Arabia, the positive
    impact on Syria, Jordan, and others. I have great hope that one day
    humanity will look upon turmoil in the Middle East with the same
    respectful nostalgia we have for WWII, and will finally turn it's
    attention towards Africa.

    -ryan
    --
    I stopped reading Wired and now William Gibson and Cory Doctorow don't make
    any sense.

    http://ryanmarsh.com