FC: Bush signs bill creating national do-not-call-list

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 22:42:54 PST

    Subject: National Do-Not-Call List is law]
    From: Jason <jaegnerat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Date: 11 Mar 2003 20:31:59 -0500

    Declan,

    Apparently, it's become law.

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/03/11/politics/main543573.shtml

    Naturally:
    "Telemarketers say the registry will devastate their business. The
    Direct Marketing Association, an industry group, filed a lawsuit against
    the FTC last month on grounds the registry unlawfully restricts free
    speech."

    Someone should remind the Direct Marketing Association that their right
    to free speech ends at my front door in much the same way that one's
    right to swing one's fist ends at another person's face.  And if this
    law will "devastate their business", I submit that perhaps they were in
    the wrong business to begin with.

    --Jason