FC: My review of Canon EOS 1Ds -- and the Canon EOS 10D arrives

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 11:15:23 PST

    [Also, my new Canon 10D digital SLR arrived on Monday from B&H. Yay! They
    told me the wait would be 4-6 weeks but it shipped 1.5 weeks after I
    ordered it, or just 2 weeks after Canon announced it. (I suspect B&H
    prioritized customers who spend far too much money with them.) It's a 6.3
    megapixel successor to the Canon D60, which means I'll be retiring my
    3-megapixel D30. I took the 10D to an open source conference in DC
    yesterday (http://www.egovos.org/) and, based on my preliminary results,
    give the 10D two thumbs up. Read on for my review of the 11 megapixel
    1Ds... --Declan]

    ---

    http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-6613935-1304-20610303.html

        By Declan McCullagh
        March 18, 2003

        Review summary
        The 1Ds is a state-of-the-art digital SLR that meets professional
        imaging and performance standards, with a price to match.
        The good: Tremendous resolution; full-frame sensor; professional body;
        weatherproofed; excellent handling.
        The bad: Very expensive; large and heavy; top continuous-shooting rate
        of only 3fps.

        Canon's latest foray into the high-end photography market, the EOS
        1Ds, may be the most capable digital SLR sold today. With an
        eye-popping 11.1-megapixel effective resolution, this model trounces
        its 3- and 6-megapixel EOS ancestors. Based on Canon's 1V
        35mm-film-camera body, the 1Ds should appeal to pros and other serious
        shooters who have been eagerly anticipating this level of quality and
        flexibility in a digital camera. The downside: This Canon is priced
        according to its feature set.

        [...remainder snipped...]