FC: Replies to is Iraq's Internet still functioning?

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 09:54:14 PST

    Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:47:48 -0500
    To: declanat_private
    From: Brian McWilliams <brian@pc-radio.com>
    Subject: Re: FC: Is Iraq's Internet still functioning?

    Declan,

    Despite the ease with which the USA could unplug Iraq from the Net ( see
    http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/03/06/iraq_geeks/ ), the country's
    Internet services appear to functioning as of this moment.

    Web surfers have encountered intermittent problems reaching Uruklink.net,
    the Iraq government's main website, after the US launched its initial
    attack Wednesday night. But those access difficulties were apparently due
    to a surge of Internet visitors rather than to damage from the bombing.

    In fact, traffic to Uruklink.net is hitting record levels, according to
    counters at the site. The homepage of Uruklink.net had over 10,000 visits
    yesterday, and is on pace to hit 14,000 today. That would represent the
    busiest day at the site since the counter was installed in December. The
    previous traffic record occurred on Feb. 9, when the site's address was
    published in the Drudge Report.

    Iraq's traffic spike is not unique. News sites and portals around the world
    are reportedly seeing heavy traffic, as users hit the Internet in search of
    the latest war news.

    Iraq's two main e-mail servers, mail.uruklink.net and mail.warkaa.net, were
    still responding to pings today. The website of Iraqi's satellite TV
    service (reachable at http://62.145.94.28 since it lost its domain
    iraqtv.ws), as well as BabilOnline.net, a major newspaper, were also reachable.

    While Iraq's sites are available from outside the country, it's not
    immediately clear whether Iraqis are able to access the Internet since the
    initial attacks.

    The log files for Uruklink.net appear devoid of the usual numerous hits
    from users of Satellite Media Services and Atlanta International Teleport,
    the two satellite companies that supply Iraq with Internet service.

    It's possible that Iraq's government has imposed some sort of block on
    Internet use, such as closing its public Internet centers. Or perhaps
    Iraqis have more important things on their minds.

    Brian

    ---