FC: Why is Mailblocks' approach different? (Answer: It isn't)

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 10:41:57 PST

    "Will new 'spam reduction' service result in... more spam?"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-04580.html

    Also note that Mailblocks has changed their privacy policy (see the next
    Politech message).

    Date: 24 Mar 2003 14:33:55 -0500
    From: "John R Levine" <johnlat_private>
    To: "Declan McCullagh" <declanat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: Will new "spam reduction" service result in... more spam?
    Cleverness: None detected

     > CNET (among other news sites is touting Mailblocks, a "new class of email
     > service that completely rids your Inbox of spam and offers the powerful
     > features you want in your web mail." After reading the ToS and privacy
     > policy, I certainly will not recommend the service.

    The only thing that's new about Mailblocks is that their founder has
    a high enough profile that he got reporters to talk to him.  There are
    plenty of other mail challenge systems, both freeware and commercial.
    Even the ones that aren't privacy disasters don't work well.

    For one thing, a lot of people won't respond.  Some less technical users
    assume it's spam or another incomprehensible message from their ISP and
    delete it.  Some better informed users won't respond because (with good
    reason) they don't trust the challenge service not to misuse their
    addresses.

    Some of us are really tired of misconfigured challenge systems that send
    challenges to mail from lists to which the user has subscribed, or to a
    response that the challenge user sent, so to minimize the damage we don't
    respond to any of them.

    In the long run, these challenge systems are a bad idea because they treat
    correspondents' e-mail addresses as passwords.  But they're just about the
    worst kind of password you can imagine, easy to guess, easy to spoof, and
    hard to change.  We're already seeing spam sent with random forged return
    addresses, which among other things reverse spams the forged user when the
    spam hits a challenge.  If challenges become at all popular, we can expect
    spammers to start harvesting mail in bunches to try and maximize the
    chance that the forged return address is already in the victim's
    whitelist.  And remember that for spammers, if that works 1% of the time,
    that's "success".  I can hardly wait.

    Regards,
    John Levine, johnlat_private, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
    "A book is a sneeze." - E.B. White, on the writing of Charlotte's Web

    ---