FC: John Gilmore on government trustworthiness and spy gear

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 18:20:45 PST

    Previous Politech messages:

    -----

    To: politechat_private, gnuat_private
    Subject: Re: FC: Responses to Pentagon claim about basketball-reading spy gear
    Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 13:02:50 -0800
    From: John Gilmore <gnuat_private>

    My suspicion is that if there's any truth behind the disinformation,
    it refers to unmanned aerial surveillance gear (that perhaps transmits
    images to satellites for relay back to the ground).

    But even if they have a dozen systems that can read the lettering on a
    basketball, they can't read the lettering on all the basketballs in
    the world.  Or even all the basketballs in Iraq, or Columbus, Ohio.

    So what matters is having good judgment about what to look at.  And
    good judgment is where our intelligence bureacracy, and our current
    political leadership, both have notoriously bad records.  The spy
    agencies didn't predict the end of the Cold War, didn't predict 9/11,
    didn't predict the information revolution, are drowning in way too
    much data with little understanding, and resisted the spread of the
    encryption that barely protects our infrastructures today.  Meanwhile
    the President and his gang are destroying freedom at home, wasting
    vast resources on third rate tinpot dictators, destabilizing
    international law and long-standing peaceful alliances, and supporting
    criminality and corruption and terrorism all over the world with
    price supports on illegal drugs.

    This government hasn't learned that if you're watching everybody,
    you're watching nobody.  Our society was much safer when it was run by
    people who knew that if you spend 99% of your time investigating
    innocent citizens who you have no reason to suspect, you're going to
    have real trouble catching the people you have actual reasons to
    suspect.  Either these guys are stupid, or they really are trying to
    build a police state.  My friends in government try to convince me
    that incompetence is far more common than malevolence -- but they
    forget that positions of power attract such people.

    	John

    ---