FC: Free Congress' Lisa Dean: Anti-war protester committed treason

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 22:02:55 PST

    Some of the folks at the Free Congress Foundation have been longtime
    subscribers to Politech, so it's a shame to see them toss about the term
    "treason" so loosely.

    Treason is a deadly serious crime, and accusations should not be made
    lightly. The U.S. Constitution says: "Treason against the United States,
    shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their
    Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of
    Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or
    on Confession in open Court."

    It's not just Free Congress:

    "'It's almost like treason' not to back troops, vet says"
    http://miva.jacksonsun.com/miva/cgi-bin/miva?NEWS/news_story.mv+link=20030327481001
    0

    "Treason in Ithaca"
    http://frontpagemag.com/articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=6819

    At least in 2001, the Free Congress foundation was a close ideological ally
    of Ashcroft's and worked diligently to ensure Ashcroft's Senate
    confirmation as attorney general
    (http://www.freecongress.org/media/2001/010131.asp). Let's hope that
    Ashcroft's Justice Department doesn't take such a loose view of what kinds
    of antiwar protests are treasonous.

    Unfortunately, this doesn't reassure me at all:

    "Ashcroft likens criticism of DOJ power grab to 'aiding terrorists'"

    Free Congress Foundation's
    Notable News Now
    March 28, 2003

    The Free Congress Commentary
    Anti-war Protestors: It's Time YOU
    Start Imitating Our Troops!
    By Lisa S. Dean

    When it comes to supporting freedom of speech, I'm right there fighting with
    the next guy. But as with anything, there are limits to what freedom of
    speech can tolerate.
    In San Francisco last week, protesters rallied carrying a banner reading,
    "We Support Our Troops Who Shoot Their Officers."  Now, moronic slogans such
    as "Bush is Hitler" and "Uncle Sam is a Terrorist" are tolerated because we,
    as a nation, support the right for even the dumbest of our citizens to
    publicly dissent.  That's what democracy is all about, or so they say.
    But that banner isn't expressing dissent and it's not freedom of speech.
    It's supporting sedition and is downright treasonous.
    In an attempt to calm the fury of patriots who wanted to rip these
    protesters in two, an apparently soft-hearted resident of San Francisco
    rationally explained where these protestors were coming from.  He opined
    that they have fallen on hard times because of the dot.com failures and are
    lashing out at anything in order to vent their frustration.  Nice try but NO
    SALE!  You mean to say that someone can act irresponsibly, even going so far
    as to put the lives of others at risk, just because you are throwing a
    temper tantrum over your miserable, sorry life?  I don't think so.
    Look, whatever you may think about this war, remember that these men and
    women are serving their nation and as a citizen of their nation, they are
    serving YOU.  They are putting their lives at risk FOR YOU.  They aren't
    doing this for publicity, or for some other self-serving reason, they are
    doing it FOR YOU.  And in case you didn't hear me, let me say it again, THEY
    ARE RISKING THEIR LIVES FOR YOU!
    So instead of insulting them, why not try imitating them?  Skip Starbucks,
    throw down your protest banners and go help out in a soup kitchen.  Go
    mentor a needy child.  Go do something thoughtful for a family who has a
    loved one in Iraq right now.  In other words, go and do something other than
    sitting around feeling sorry for yourself and taking out your self-pity on a
    society that you think owes you the comfortable lifestyle to which you have
    become accustomed.  Spend some time contributing something to the country by
    serving somebody else, just like our troops.
    Lisa S. Dean is Director of the Center for Technology Policy at the Free
    Congress Foundation.