FC: John Gilmore, Steve McGeady on Mike Hawash, still in prison

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 12:14:00 PDT

    "Weekly column on Mike Hawash: Guilty until proven innocent"

    To: declanat_private
    cc: politechat_private, mcgat_private
    Subject: Re: FC: Mike Hawash: Guilty until proven innocent
    Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:23:48 -0700
    From: John Gilmore <gnuat_private>

    I'm glad to see that a nice tech guy from Texas and Oregon, who's
    worked for Intel and written books, can still stir up a bit of public
    interest and press coverage, when he's tossed into an American prison
    for months without access to the public, family, or lawyers.

       What about the hundreds of folks still imprisoned in Guantanamo?

       What about the hundreds of folks still imprisoned from post-9/11 sweeps?

    Those people aren't newsworthy.  They didn't go to the right colleges,
    or work with anybody interesting or powerful.

    The Bush Administration is losing just about every case on these
    people too (*), but they keep appealing them higher, and so far the judges
    at each level have not insisted on honoring the rights of the accused
    "while awaiting further deliberations".

    Congress has been totally useless at safeguarding the public -- and why
    should they care what the public thinks?  They've rigged the system so that
    their re-election rate is better than the Central Committee of the Chinese
    Communist Party.  My own Rep (Pelosi) keeps voting for war, secure in
    the knowledge that nobody can successfully run against her, despite her
    district being strongly anti-war.  She knows her bread is buttered on the
    side of making the Demmicans provide no alternative to the terrible
    policies of the Republicrats.  It's a cozy dupoly.

    What was news in Mike Hawash's case is that an honest judge had the
    courage to say that they had better release the guy "in a month" or
    else.  I think that judge had better order his immediate release, or
    the Just-Us Department will have time to run to Mommy, get a stay from
    some less-honest court, and spend another year arguing about whether
    this citizen has any rights.  While he sits in prison, not accused of
    any crime, merely one drop in the bucket of 500,000 political
    prisoners in the United States.

             John Gilmore

    (*) Actually, the Guantanamo prisoners are losing their cases.
    According to the courts, the US can do anything it wants to you,
    violate whatever rights your own country guaranteed you as well as any
    rights that the US constitutional 'guarantees' -- as long as it does it
    offshore.  Wake up, Americans, you're living in a police state.

    ---