FC: Judge orders researchers, conference not to reveal security flaws

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 18:46:57 PDT

    Sorry for the delay on sending this one out, folks. The preliminary
    injunction is here:
    http://www.interz0ne.com/events/Blackboard_Restr_Order.pdf
    And the complaint is here:
    http://www.interz0ne.com/events/Blackboard_Complaint.pdf

    A few points:

    * The plaintiff company (Blackboard) appears to be making an interesting
    claim: That publishing this info is commercial speech, even though the
    complaint cites the language that the defendants might "give" the devices
    away. (http://news.com.com/2100-1028-996836.html)

    * It is true that the DMCA is one of the claims, but focusing on that
    misses the bigger picture. Even if the DMCA did not exist, I'd wager that
    the judge would have granted this restraining order.

    * My memory of prior restraint law is hazy, but I recall that the Supreme
    Court (Freedman v. Maryland) has said that they are possibly acceptable
    when a prompt adversarial proceedings take place -- and this week's hearing
    would probably qualify. The interesting twist we get here is that because
    the presentation is now so widely distributed thanks to Google's cache, the
    "immediate and irreparable" harm Blackboard cited in its request for an
    injunction seems to have already taken place, and there's little the court
    can do. So there's a reasonable argument, I'd say, the analysis should halt
    there and the injunction should be denied (a subpoena to Google asking how
    many people viewed the cached presentation would be interesting).