FC: Lisa Dean replies to Politech, retracts "treason" editorial

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 19:32:29 PDT

    Just catching up on CFP-week email now...

    Previous Politech message:
    "Free Congress' Lisa Dean: Anti-war protester committed treason"

    From: "Lisa S. Dean" <LSDeanat_private>
    To: "'declanat_private'" <declanat_private>
    Subject: FW: FC: Free Congress' Lisa Dean: Anti-war protester committed tr
             eason
    Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:52:55 -0500

    Declan,

    I wrote this editorial after having just seen the photograph of those
    protestors in SF.  It was written passionately because I was outraged that
    those protesters were as irresponsible as they were and yes, I used the word
    "treason" loosely, which I retract.  You implied to your readers that I
    wanted these people charged with treason.  That is blowing it up a bit.
    Never did I suggest such a thing. I merely overstated their behavior.  These
    protestors were highly irresponsible and terribly insensitive to our men and
    women risking their lives overseas as well as to their families and friends
    here at home.  That was the point.

    As far as FCF is concerned, you have known us for years and know that our
    views on privacy and First Amendment issues have been consistent with yours.

    By the way, FCF supported Ashcroft for AG because the choice was between him
    and Gov. Keating, who, as you probably remember, had an abysmal record on
    privacy.  At the time Ashcroft was the better choice of the likely
    candidates. While FCF was one of the first to show support for Ashcroft, we
    were also the first to slam him after 9/11 and have consistently done so
    since.

    Regards,
    Lisa