FC: More on AOL vs. chihuahuas: No-URLs-in-email rule not new

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 05:25:14 PDT

    From: "D McOwen" <dmcowenat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>, <politechat_private>
    Cc: <amoorkahat_private>, <carolat_private>
    Subject: RE: AOL vs. chihuahuas: Animal shelter site takes business  elsewhere
    Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 09:03:10 -0400

    Hi Declan,

    If you recall I had a similar incident happen to be in early February with a
    DSL & Cable Website. They deleted posts that I had made where I was pointing
    out to people they weren't only stuck with the DSL Modems forced on them by
    the Telcos that have closed the DSL market to competition. They said they
    deleted the posts because the word at the bottom of my signature is
    considered SPAM.

    --------------------

    4h43m : 2003-02-11 02:24:54 : From RadioDoc block, delete-ALL, delete-this
    Your signature advertising a commercial site is against site rules and has
    been removed. We do not allow SPAMMING via signature line (or any other way
    for that matter).

    --------------------

    People defended the Website as being a Private Website so they can do what
    they want including calling just the words of a Website being considered
    SPAM.

    With all of the new Laws and Legislation coming online such as
    AOL/Virginia's Anti-Spam Law and State Super DMCA Laws that considers these
    as heinous crimes as serious Felonies on par as Murdering someone, we must
    have a clear distinction of what is considered to be actually SPAM.

    I'm all for stopping a hundred or more E-mails a day of SPAM pushing
    Viagara, Millions of dollars awaiting me in Nigeria or gross Porn pics but
    not if it means simple words and not even a live hyperlink being considered
    a penalty worthy of beyond a lifetime in jail and fines as high as the
    National Debt.

    David McOwen
    DSLModemsDirect.com  <--------- I just SPAMMED you

    -----------
     >From the forum FAQs:

    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6498

      Q: LINKS in posts, sigs etc. (#6498)
      A: To bring some uniformity to what we allow and don't allow in the way of
    promotion and self-promotion, here are guidelines.
    ----

    Posting in the forums encouraging others to join another site is tolerated
    once, IF the poster is not personally involved with that site.

    For example: "Widget.com has a new custom news service, click here".

    URLs in sigs: Adding a link such as "my favorite website" to your sig is
    acceptable, again,

    IF the poster is not personally involved with that site (ie, not working for
    or with them etc.)
    and the site is not sleazy, overtly commercial, or in the same line of
    business as us.

    Links to non-profit websites are fine.

    Links to helpful sites that are in a business related to DSLR are acceptable
    above forums, in faqs or in posts as long as the link does not get re-posted
    or continually mentioned.
    -------