FC: Replies to Financial Times and taxing all electronic mail

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 05:50:19 PDT

    And here's a back message on the U.N. email tax proposal (probably safe to
    say that it's a silly idea that comes up every few years):

    Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 12:12:43 +0530
    To: declanat_private, politechat_private
    From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <sureshat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: Financial Times commentary: It's time to tax all email!

    At 12:40 AM 5/7/2003 -0400, Declan McCullagh wrote:
    >[Anyone remember that UN report talking about an email tax -- a
    >thinly-disguised wealth transfer to African governments? --Declan]

    Heheheheh...

    "I AM STEPHEN KARGBO, SON OF THE MINISTER FOR INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY AND
    COMMUNICATIONS IN A POOR AFRICAN COUNTRY.  WE RECEIVED A HUGE UN GRANT FROM
    EMAIL TAXES TO PAY FOR BUYING COMPUTERS FOR ALL OUR COUNTRY'S
    CITIZENS.  DUE TO SOME ADMINISTRATIVE TRICKERY, I COULD OVERINVOICE ORDERS
    ......"

    yours,
    --srs

    --
    Suresh Ramasubramanian + suresh <@> hserus dot net
    EMail Sturmbannführer, Lower Middle Class Sysadmin

    ---