FC: Dave McClure with a correction on taxing all email...

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 22:20:06 PDT

    From: "Dave McClure" <dmcclureat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: RE: Financial Times commentary: It's time to tax all email!
    Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 04:06:55 -0400

    Declan:

    Sigh!  Before we accept Roger's wholesale assault on Internet users and
    companies, we need to take a minute to correct his sloppy
    misrepresentation of a basic fact:

    The moratorium on Internet taxation that he describes doesn't exist.

    There is a moratorium on multiple and discriminatory taxes on Internet
    services, which prevents the states and localities from setting tax
    rates higher for Internet transactions that for the same transaction in
    a local store.  There is a moratorium on taxation of the cost of
    Internet access, since this would make it more difficult for low-income
    families to afford access to the Internet.

    But there never was a time, a decade ago or otherwise, that Americans
    were duped into believing politicians could not tax the Internet.  Heck,
    we've spent most of the last decade trying to keep their greedy little
    mitts off the Internet!

    The portion of US law that forbids the taxation of many (but not all!)
    Internet commerce transactions is the 1992 decision of the US Supreme
    Court in Quill v. North Dakota.  In making its ruling, the Court said
    they states do not deserve to tax transactions in the case of businesses
    to which they provide no services.

    The Court also said that if the states could find a way to simplify
    their tax systems so that complying wouldn't automatically put small
    businesses out of business, they could ask Congress to pass a law
    permitting them to assign taxes to those transactions.  So far, the
    states have been unable to figure out a way to simplify much of
    anything.

    Penny post? Collected by whom?  And who gets the money that is
    collected?  And is there any evidence at all that the spammers won't
    simply ignore the tax and keep sending their vile stuff?  None that I
    have seen. . .

    This is a truly bad idea that punishes the innocent but will ultimately
    fail to correct the spam problem. Before we rush into such a disastrous
    scheme, how about if we start by defining what specific activities
    related to spam are illegal, and empower someone to enforce the law?

    Dave McClure
    USIIA