FC: Brad Templeton's reply to a Draconian anti-spamming proposal

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 06:23:08 PDT

    [Brad makes some very good points. Previous Politech message:
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-04741.html  --Declan]

    ---

    Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 23:05:39 -0700
    From: Brad Templeton <bradat_private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Cc: politechat_private
    Subject: Re: FC: Rich Kulawiec's Draconian idea to rid the Net of spam, forever

    Declan, I would normally not want to include the entire text of an
    earlier article in a posting, but that's because I want people who
    agreed with this to re-read it and substitute, for spammer, some
    internet activity that some forces don't like but which the reader
    likes.

    People seem ready to say "blame the ISP, force them to act against
    the user, cut them off if they won't" as a technique against spam.

    But aren't they often the same people who would scream if you advocated
    blaming the ISP, and pressuring them to cut off any users who:

    	a) Run Gnutella or other P2P software
    	b) Have a NAT box
    	c) Have an open wireless lan
    	d) Host a web site with indecent material
    	e) Host a web site with unpleasant political views
    	f) Host a file which is allegedly a copyright infringement
    	g) Post messages allegedly violating the copyrights of the
    	   Church of Scientology

    And many other things?   Don't most of us here cry foul when people
    try to blame the ISP for actions of users like these, try to pressure
    the ISPs to cut off these users?  Yet with spam, do we reverse that
    philosophy?

    These are not idle examples.  We've seen ISPs try to ban users from doing
    all these things, and legal and other pressures put on ISPs to cut off
    users who do them.  (except B, which mostly the ISPs themselves try to
    impede.)

    Do we believe in the end to end principle?  Under the E2E principle,
    the ISP's job is to provide an efficient bit pipe, not to pass judgement
    and restrictions on the nature of the traffic flowing over it.

    I see the attraction of the approach of punishing the ISP for the
    actions of its users.  But it also means punishing the innocent users
    of the ISP for the actions of the guilty.   Do we advocate doing that?

    As I've stood up so many times to stop people from blaming the ISPs for
    what users are doing, I can't stand up in support of principles like
    this.  Take your favourite banned action and insert it in the essay below
    in place of spam.