FC: John Levine: Challenge-response systems are as harmful as spam

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 19:14:40 PDT

    [John makes good points. There are flaws in many current C-R systems: (1)
    They rely on the From: line for authentication, (2) most current ones
    by spammers, (3) they do not understand mailing lists. The first two are
    security problems and the third is a problem of poor integration and
    list-intelligence. Problem #1 is probably the most serious; it can probably
    be solved through micropayments, hashcash, digital signatures (web-of-trust
    or certification authority). But none of those technologies will be
    deployed in a hurry, and an alternative, keywords embedded in Subject:
    lines or the message body, is painful and awkward. --Declan]

    ---