FC: TidBITS editors warn readers that antispam C-Rs will be ignored

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 10:36:36 PDT

    This is what TidBITS will do (it makes sense):

    Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 10:20:53 -0700
    To: declanat_private
    From: TidBITS <editorsat_private>
    Subject: TidBITS Article: "TidBITS Policy on Challenge-Response"

    Greetings! Tom Collins <tomat_private> has sent you a TidBITS article
    with this personal message:
    TidBITS is a Mac newsletter that has been around for over 10 years. This
    article of theirs on challenge-response is very clear and will hopefully
    educate users on some of the problems of CR systems.

    TidBITS Policy on Challenge-Response

       by Adam C. Engst

    An anti-spam technique called challenge-response is becoming increasingly
    popular these days. Simply described, challenge-response compares the
    sender of each incoming message against the contents of your email address
    book (or a similar list generated in another way, such as by extracting the
    senders of every piece of your stored mail). If the sender of the incoming
    message appears in your address book, the message comes through as you'd
    expect. However, if that incoming message is from an unknown address -
    either someone from whom you've never received email or an acquaintance
    using a new address - the challenge-response system sends an email reply to
    the sender, asking her to click a link, reply to the message, or in some
    way indicate that her original message came from a real person. Once
    verification has happened, the message is delivered appropriately, as are
    all subsequent messages from that sender.

    Challenges to Challenge-Response -- Challenge-response systems are fairly
    effective, since most people receive mail from roughly the same subset of
    senders, and the effort to any individual sender is relatively low. These
    systems suffer from a number of important problems, though.

    Spammers often forge headers so the spam you receive appears to come from
    other email addresses at the same domain, or even from your own email
    address. It's not uncommon for me to receive spam "from" myself, or "from"
    another member of the TidBITS staff. In smaller organizations, it's likely
    that most people with email addresses at that domain would be in each
    other's address books, so spam "from" those addresses would bypass a
    challenge-response system.

    Challenge-response puts an additional burden on senders, which is why it's
    effective against spam. However, it also tends to engender ill will among
    normal people who feel as though you're asking them to jump through hoops
    (which you are). It's in your interest to make the process as easy as
    possible for legitimate senders.

    There are many legitimate reasons why you might receive email that's sent
    automatically, such as an order receipt from an online vendor or a mailing
    list subscription confirmation request. You're unlikely to have such email
    addresses in your address book, so those sorts of messages can be stopped
    erroneously. Most of the time, no person would even see the challenge since
    those systems run on auto-pilot. Ironically, this could even create mail
    loops between systems as your challenge is answered not with a response,
    but with a competing challenge.

    As a special case to the above, consider mailing lists to which you
    subscribe. Depending on how the challenge-response system is set up, you
    could end up sending challenges to everyone who posts a note to a
    discussion list (this happened on TidBITS Talk recently, annoying a number
    of people). Or, in the more generic case of TidBITS, we could end up
    receiving hundreds or even thousands of challenges from subscribers who
    turned on a challenge-response system but didn't have <editorsat_private>
    in their address books.

    Ever More Challenges -- There are certainly technical solutions that could
    ameliorate each of these problems (such as a quarantine area that users can
    check for legitimate mail that's been held but hasn't been verified by the
    sender, and special cases for mail from lists), but with different systems
    appearing from a variety of companies, such as SpamArrest and Mailblocks,
    there's no telling which features will be commonly available, or how they
    will require senders to respond.

    <http://www.spamarrest.com/>
    <http://www.mailblocks.com/>

    Challenge-response technology is about to become significantly more
    widespread, though, with EarthLink about to test such a system for its 5
    million customers. EarthLink is currently the third-largest ISP in the
    United States, and it serves over 2,000 TidBITS subscribers (second only to
    AOL, and well ahead of Mac.com).

    <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A22390-2003May6.html>
    <http://www.earthlink.net/spamblocker/>

    Our Challenge -- Although we're always in favor of individuals and ISPs
    working to control the pestilence that is spam (by the time you read this,
    I'll have received more than 21,000 spam messages so far in 2003), we've
    also spoken out in the past against approaches like arbitrary content
    filtering that actually increase the damage spam causes to the global email
    system.

    <http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbser=1221>

    We don't view challenge-response as being nearly as concerning as arbitrary
    content filters, but it does raise problems for us. We send email to nearly
    50,000 people each week by the time you take all of our versions and
    translations into account, and dealing with hundreds of individual
    challenges each week would utterly overwhelm us. We don't have the staff
    resources to do that and keep everything else running. We're not unusual in
    this regard; most mailing lists on the Internet will run into similar problems.

    So consider this article a heads-up to anyone who is thinking about using a
    challenge-response system. Please be a good Internet citizen and make sure
    you add mailing list distribution addresses to your address book and work
    to avoid situations that will cause irritation for others in your
    particular parts of the Internet.

    Closer to home, be warned that we will not answer any challenges generated
    challenge-response system and not receiving TidBITS, you'll need to figure
    that out on your own. Also, if you send us a personal note and we receive a
    challenge to our reply, we may or may not respond to it, depending on our
    workload at the time.

    In short, do what you feel is necessary to control your spam problem, but
    remember that it's your responsibility to make it possible for people to
    send you email that you request.
    This article refers back to:
       Filtering Gone Bad, a series of 2 articles.

    Find this article on the Web at
    <http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=07181>.

    Unless otherwise noted, this article is copyright 2003 Adam C. Engst,
    published in TidBITS 680, copyright 2003 TidBITS Electronic Publishing, all
    rights reserved. Send questions or comments to <editorsat_private>.

    Non-profit, non-commercial publications and Web sites may reprint or link
    to articles if full credit is given. Others please contact us. We do not
    guarantee accuracy of articles. Caveat lector. Publication, product, and
    company names may be registered trademarks of their companies. TidBITS ISSN
    1090-7017.

    TidBITS is a free weekly Internet technology newsletter providing timely
    news, insightful analysis, and in-depth reviews to the Macintosh and
    Internet communities.

    To subscribe to TidBITS HTML issues: <tidbits-html-onat_private>
    To subscribe to TidBITS text issues: <tidbits-onat_private>
    To subscribe to HTML announcements: <tidbits-html-announce-onat_private>
    To subscribe to text announcements: <tidbits-text-announce-onat_private>
    To search all TidBITS articles: <http://www.tidbits.com/search/>

    TidBITS is sponsored in part by Small Dog:
    SMALL DOG ELECTRONICS: PowerBooks On Sale!
    PowerBook G4/667 Only $1845! PB G4/800/AirPort Only $2049!
    PowerBook G4/867 256/40/Combo/32 MB VRAM Only $1995!
    Visit: <http://www.smalldog.com/tb/> 802-496-7171

    Help support TidBITS by supporting our sponsors!