FC: Penn State prez does online chat about P2P sharing

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 23:34:22 PDT

    Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 13:38:15 -0400
    Subject: Chronicle of Higher Ed chat on File Sharing on Campus Tomorrow
    From: Ben Stanfield -- MacSlash <benat_private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>

    Declan,

    I found this in my surfing today, and thought Politech readers might be
    interested, considering the recent coverage of the RIAA's false accusations
    and apologies to Penn State.

     > http://live.psu.edu/index.php?sec=vs&story=3084

    Penn State President Graham Spanier will be discussing file sharing on
    University campuses in an online chat at the Chronicle of Higher Education.

    The blurb refers to Spanier as "a national leader in addressing the issue of
    file sharing on university campuses" and also notes that he recently
    testified before the US Congress about file sharing.

    Having attended Penn State during Spanier's time there, I know he can and
    does fight valiantly for students' rights, particularly freedom of speech
    and expression. He's certainly faced his share of controversy, but he often
    has interesting and worthwhile insights, and I'm sure his chat tomorrow will
    be quite interesting.

    Hope some Politechers get a chance to participate.

    Ben

    --
    Ben Stanfield
    Executive Editor, MacSlash, Inc.

    "And here's some cheering news: More people (4 million) tune in to The Daily
    Show in a given week than watched Fox news at the height of the war (3.3
    million)." Susan Douglas in "The Nation"