FC: AccuCard Service: More privacy invasion (and viral marketing?)

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 05:26:08 PDT

    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Cc: Hal Murray <hmurrayat_private>
    Subject: AccuCard Service: More privacy invasion (and viral marketing?)
    Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:33:10 -0700
    From: Hal Murray <hmurrayat_private>

    Are you aware of Cardscan.net and their AccuCard Service?  Info at
    www.cardscan.net.

    I recently received email from a friend, or rather from cardscan.net on
    behalf of my friend asking me to update my info.  It seems as though there is
    one more company in the business of collecting info on everybody.

    Cardscan makes software and hardware for keeping track of business cards.
    Seems like a good idea.  But they let you keep your info about me on their
    web site.  Great.  Just what I wanted.  Another company I didn't even know
    about keeping track of me.

         When you update your contact information, your updates will
         be communicated back to me, as well as any other users of the
         service that already know you (they already have your email
         address and a portion of your contact information). This saves
         you time and effort, and ensures that all your contacts have your
         latest information.

         This service is secure and private.

    Right.  I wonder when some emarketer will figure out how to take advantage of
    it.  Or headhunters if the economy gets going again.

    I wonder when this will get tied into C/R systems. :)