FC: More on Orrin Hatch, his plans for anti-piracy legislation

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 06:48:14 PDT

    [The first two articles are spoofs -- I hope! --DBM]

    ---

    From: [deleted per request]
    To: "'Declan McCullagh'" <declanat_private>
    Subject: REMOVEEMAIL: Hatch goes even more nuts!! When's he up for
    reelection???
    Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:20:49 -0400

        Senator wants copyright "kill switches" in PCs
        Thursday, June 19, 2003; 10:12 AM

        WASHINGTON - The chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee said
        Thursday that future personal computers should be required to sport
        "kill switches" that could be remotely activated in cases of
        peer-to-peer piracy.

        Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-UT, said he was drafting legislation to require
        devices in PCs permitting the destruction of hardware used for
        widescale copyright infringement by sending a secret command to the
        remote computer. A copyright holder would be required to offer two
        warnings before the "kill switch" was activated and the computer
        destroyed or permanently disabled, Hatch said.

        "That may be the only way you can teach these people about copyright
        infringement," Hatch told reporters in the Hart Senate office building
        before a meeting of the Judiciary committee. "Requiring kill switches
        is an extreme step, but if the private sector can't stop piracy on its
        own, the government will."

        On Tuesday, Hatch came under fire for saying that he favors developing
        new technology to remotely destroy the computers of people who
        illegally download music from the Internet. Hatch's latest remarks on
        go even further, representing the most dramatic escalation to date in
        a battle over Internet piracy that has pitted copyright industry
        executives against peer-to-peer users and the technology industry.

        "The kill switch would necessarily include an audit trail and some
        sort of way to prevent it from being abused by people other than
        legitimate intellectual property holders," Hatch said on Thursday.
        "While there are no simple solutions, this is a reasonable proposal
        that will help preserve the health and vibrancy of one of America's
        most important industries."

        Hatch said that in addition to technological protections against
        misuse of the "kill switch," anyone who activated it who was not a
        legitimate copyright holder would be subject to prosecution by the
        U.S. Department of Justice.

        A senior executive at Intel Corporation, who spoke on condition of
        anonymity, called Hatch's comments "nutty, ludicrous, and beyond the
        pale."

        "Our job is to make the best products for our users, not create
        backdoors in microprocessors that will melt them down to a molten heap
        of slag because someone on the Internet gets peeved," the executive
        said. "There's no guarantee that copyright holders won't make a
        mistake, and what if a hacker bypasses this supposedly secure
        authentication mechanism? Senator Hatch would be responsible for melting
        down most of the Internet overnight."

        In May, the Recording Industry Association of America acknowledged
        that it erroneously sent dozens of copyright infringement notices that
        threatened legal action. The trade association blamed its errors on a
        temporary employee.

        Rep. Rick Boucher, D-VA, who has been active in copyright debates,
        said that Hatch should reconsider his proposal for legislation. "I can
        understand Senator Hatch's frustration, but we have to make sure the
        cure is not worse than the disease," Boucher said. "Requiring kill
        switches is a last resort, not something that should be on the table
        yet."

        Hatch is an amateur songwriter who has recorded religious songs
        including, according to HatchMusic.com, works titled Our Gracious
        Lord, Climb Inside His Loving Arms, and How His Glory Shines.

        Hatch's proposed legislation represents a kind of melding of two other
        proposals from the last session of Congress. In one, Rep. Howard
        Berman, D-CA, ignited a firestorm across the Internet over his bill
        that would give copyright holders the power to disable, divert or
        block computers used on peer-to-peer networks. The second bill, backed
        by Sen. Fritz Hollings, D-SC, would require computer and
        consumer-electronics companies to build copyright-protection
        technology into future products.

        One technology lobbyist, who spoke on condition of anonymity, offered
        a tongue-in-cheek suggestion. "How about if we implant 'kill switches'
        in politicians so we can blow them up when they say anything this
        stupid?"

    ---