FC: Lofgren, Boucher criticize Singapore and Chile trade deals

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2003 - 21:26:19 PDT

    See also:
    http://news.com.com/2100-1025-1000154.html

    ---

    News from . . .

    U.S. Representatives Zoe Lofgren

    and Rick Boucher

    FOR IMMEDI ATE RELEASE         CONTACT: Christine Glunz (Lofgren) 202-225-3072

    June 17,
    2003                                                             Amanda
    Potter (Boucher) 202-225-3861

    REPS. LOFGREN AND BOUCHER STEP-UP EFFORTS TO PROTECT

    CONSUMERS AND INNOVATION IN THE DIGITAL AGE

    Calling on Congress to Amend the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and
    Improve Trade

    with Chile, Singapore and Other Trading Partners

    Washington, D.C. ­ Representatives Lofgren and Boucher call on Congress to
    amend the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) to protect a consumer’s
    fair use of digital media and technology in light of the recent signing of
    Chile and Singapore Free Trade Agreements (FTAs). The FTAs contain
    provisions of the DMCA which have been used to endanger legitimate rights
    and expectations of consumers, contrary to the intentions of Congress.

    "I call on my fellow Members of Congress to help Representative Boucher and
    I amend the DMCA to restore the correct balance between copyright holders
    and consumers, as intended by Congress, without offending our trading
    partners," said Rep. Lofgren. "Earlier this year, I was advised by the
    Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) that if we amend the DMCA,
    we would be in breach of our treaty obligations with Chile and Singapore. I
    am pleased that the Secretary of Commerce has now confirmed that Congress
    may amend the DMCA even after the Chile and Singapore FTAs, containing DMCA
    provisions, are enacted."

    Representatives Lofgren and Boucher sent a letter to the United States
    Trade Representative (USTR) Robert Zoellick asking him to clarify whether
    the United States would be in violation of the FTAs if Congress amended the
    DMCA to clarify the balance between copyright holders and the interests of
    society as intended by Congress when the DMCA was enacted in 1998.
    Representatives Lofgren and Boucher also wrote Secretary of Commerce Don
    Evans, who responded in a recent letter and confirmed that Congress retains
    its inherent authority to amend the DMCA.

    "The response we received from the Secretary of Commerce is promising. It
    alleviates our concern that the Administration had somehow sought to tie
    the hands of Congress by seeking to effectively prevent it from amending a
    law that has had many troublesome consequences for consumers and innovators
    of technology," said Rep. Boucher.

    (more)

    "Although the DMCA was intended to protect the legitimate interests of
    copyright holders, it has also been endangering legitimate rights and
    expectations of consumers," said Rep. Lofgren. "When Congress enacted the
    DMCA in 1998, it never intended to prohibit all users ­ even lawful ones ­
    from circumventing technical restrictions to make non-infringing uses of
    purchased content. Yet some corporations continue to use the DMCA to
    prohibit legitimate uses. We should show leadership to the rest of the
    world by amending the DMCA now to put the interests of consumers and
    technology innovators first."

    "The DMCA is having an adverse effect on technological innovation," said
    Rep. Boucher. "There are numerous cases in court or on appeal that would
    utilize this act to stifle competition and technological innovation. This
    situation has stimulated vigorous debate about what changes should be
    wrought on the existing DMCA. With the Administration now negotiating the
    more far-reaching Free Trade Area of the Americas Agreement, we should
    amend the DMCA now so that the balance we strike can be incorporated into
    the agreement and preserve the fair use rights of consumers throughout the
    Western Hemisphere."

    The Singapore FTA was signed on May 6, 2003 and the Chile FTA was signed on
    June 6, 2003. Both agreements will soon be sent to Congress for consideration.