FC: Charles Platt on privacy and FTC's do-not-call database

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 19:14:43 PDT

    I would say with confidence that I believe the folks at FTC have no
    ulterior motives in creating this registry. But administrations can change
    and policies can shift, and in any case the FTC may have little power to
    resist requests from law enforcement agencies for the complete database.

    See:
    http://donotcall.gov/privacy/privacy.aspx
    >Phone numbers in the registry may also be shared with law enforcement to
    >assure compliance with federal and state law. [And regarding requests]
    >from Congress, Freedom of Information Act requests from private
    >individuals or companies, during litigation, for routine agency uses
    >subject to the Privacy Act, or under our access and public record rules,
    >we may be required or authorized by law to disclose the information you
    >provide.

    And, more generally, see:
    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/rulemaking/tsr/tsrrulemaking/index.htm