FC: Microsoft Word "bytes" Tony Blair in the butt

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 14:02:00 PDT

    From: "Richard M. Smith" <rmsat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: Microsoft Word "bytes" Tony Blair in the butt
    Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:56:05 -0400

    Hi,

    Microsoft Word documents are notorious for containing private
    information in file headers which people would sometimes rather not
    share.  The British government of Tony Blair just learned this lesson
    the hard way.

    Last week, Alastair Campbell, Blair's Director of Communications and
    Strategy, was in the hot seat in British Parliament hearings explaining
    what roles four of his employees played in the creation of a plagiarized
    dossier on Iraq which the UK government published in February 2003.  The
    names of these four employees were found hidden inside of a Microsoft
    Word file of the Iraq dossier which was posted on the 10 Downing Street
    Web site for use by the press.  The "dodgy dossier" as it
    became known in the British press raised serious questions about the
    quality of British intelligence before the second Iraq war.

    I wrote an article for my Web site about how a bit computer forensics
    analysis
    played a role in this controversy:

        http://www.ComputerBytesMan.com/privacy/blair.htm

    Richard M. Smith