FC: John Gilmore on Hippocratic Oath and anti-spam principles

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 07:52:08 PDT

    To: declanat_private, gnuat_private
    Subject: Re: FC: Thanks for your help! Comcast unblocks mail from The Well
    Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 00:57:36 -0700
    From: John Gilmore <gnuat_private>

    Declan said:
     > The Hippocratic Oath requires doctors to pledge not to use their skills to
     > harm others. Wouldn't it be wonderful if companies providing mail service
     > voluntarily pledged to adhere to a similar set of principles for dealing
     > with spam? ("I pledge not to blacklist entire Internet service providers."

    After years of divisive discussions, a very similar pledge/oath/policy
    was what EFF was able to come to agreement on:

       "Any measure for stopping spam must ensure that all non-spam
        messages reach their intended recipients."

    Perhaps none of us has yet come up with a silver bullet to solve the
    problem of spam -- but it IS within our power to solve the problem of
    overzealous anti-spam measures.

    	John Gilmore
    	Electronic Frontier Foundation

    PS: Isn't it amazing that there is even anyone who argues that
    Internet providers should NOT be delivering ordinary email, like
    personal or business messages, to their customers?