FC: Analyzing three days of spammers' incoming mail

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 20:57:06 PDT

    From: Karin Spaink <kspainkat_private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Subject: Analyzing three days of spammers' incoming mail
    Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 05:30:52 +0200

    Declan,

    On July 3 2003, cyberangels.nl was re-registered by Spamvrij.nl, a
    Dutch foundation fighting spam. Previously, the domain was owned
    by the company Cyberangels, who have been majorly involved in
    spamming. They felt forced to drop it when the ground under their
    feet got too hot. (The history of that affair is listed on our
    main page, www.cyberangels.nl.)

    Since MX-records for cyberangels.nl now point to spamvrij.nl too,
    we get all their mail: bounces, spam complaints and what have
    you. Have a peek: what kind of mail does a major spammer receive
    in the course of three days? By now, we have a very precise
    answer: 6305 mails. Here is the breakdown of those mails.

        1. Introduction: 6305 mails in (basically) three days
        2. We received 5880 bounces and forwards
        3. We received 12 spams for @cyberangels
        4. We received 40 attempts to annoy Cyberangels
        5. We received 371 complaints about Cyberangels
        6. We received 2 business mails

    The full analysis is available at
        http://www.cyberangels.nl/evidence/mailfile.html

    Karin Spaink
    Spamvrij.nl board member

    - K -
    --
    It's as if you're dying of thirst, and everyone around you is
    offering you potato chips. They think they're being helpful...