FC: Governments panic over missing hacker "defacement" threat

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 21:14:15 PDT

    First, see how Fed and state governments fretted about the purported threat:
    http://www.cscic.state.ny.us/advisories/july03/7_01.htm
    http://www.infowarrior.org/rforno/fedcirc-070103.txt

    Then look at Symantec's statement:
    >Symantec Security Response has been tracking for any unusual activities
    >associated with the hacker's Web site defacement challenge by monitoring
    >activities through the Symantec Security Operations Centers and the
    >Symantec DeepSight Threat Management System.
    >
    >The challenge aims to award the first individual or group to deface 6,000
    >Web sites within a six-hour timeframe on July 6, 2003.  The deadline for
    >the challenge was extended to midnight Estonian time.
    >
    >Here's a recap of what Symantec's experts have monitored throughout the
    >day on July 6, 2003:
    >Although there was a slight increase in Port 80 activities, it was not
    >statically significant   Symantec's security experts continue to see no
    >sign of any increased Web attack activities.
    >There have been reports of several hundred Web defacements; however, with
    >hundreds of  Web sites being defaced every day, this number is not significant.

    And read some of the more critical news coverage from today, reminding us
    that (surprise) not much of anything happened, and, besides, the premise of
    the contest was pretty suspicious to begin with:
    http://washingtontimes.com/business/20030706-104805-7900r.htm
    http://money.cnn.com/2003/07/06/technology/hacking_contest.reut/

    http://www.attrition.org/

       Reading the news of late is like witnessing all security issues being
        reduced to a "Rocking Chair" modality. Everyone's put a helluva lot of
        energy and effort into this mess, but we are still going nowhere fast!

        Talking Points for the Media (drafted by several well-known and
        published security professionals)

                                    July 3rd, 2003

          * Web attacks occur at all hours of the day and night. If it's
            convienient to attack, a scriptkiddy will...and they won't
            announce it. We should be more concerned with the serious
            attackers who do not broadcast their intentions.
          * The "prize" is 500 megs of online storage space? I have a
            decade-old PC with more hard disk space than they're allegedly
            "awarding" in this contest. Hell, my MP3 player has more than 40
            times that amount of storage. Besides, any cracker with a modicum
            of "skill" could easily amass far more storage using systems
            they've breached.  Finally, who in their right mind would want to
            risk getting caught for that paltry reward?
          * Symantec (owner of SecurityFocus) has not issued an alert on this
            matter; that alone shows how seriously they view this "threat."
          * Massive attacks on the Internet are like conspiracy theories:
            those that are predicted don't occur and those that occur were
            never predicted.  To illustrate:  in the immediate wake of
            9/11/2001, NIPC held a much-publicized forum about looming threats
            to the Internet. None of that grandstanding did ANYTHING to
            predict or blunt the impact of Nimda which occurred a mere six
            days later.  The same is true for the massive Distributed Denial
            of Service (DDoS) that struck 6 of the 13 root servers a few
            months ago.
          * Should we be concerned about our system security this weekend?
            YES! But no more so than any other weekend or workday. There's no
            excuse for not having properly-configured, secured, and
            administered systems 24/7/365.  Scrambling to patch systems in
            advance of a "threat" like this is foolhardy and not the way to
            enact meaningful security.
          * The guidance issued in the New York Cybersecurity Alert mentioned
            above is a joke. The recommendations are not anything beyond "good
            security measures" that should be taken each and every day by
            competent system administrators.  The fact this organization
            released such generic guidance tells us that people still don't
            implement lasting IT Security...and if they did, such "threats" of
            web defacements wouldn't cause the mass hysteria it has over the
            past several days.

                               0WN3D BY ISS, B4BY!@#$%^
            GR33TZ TO: TR34CH3RY UNL1M1T3D, 1NF0W4RR10R, R3ZN0R::D0T::C0M,
                   UN1XG33KZ, 4TTR1T10N, 4ND 0UR H0M13Z 4T N1PC!@#

                                [Okay, joke's over...]