FC: Critiques of ePrivacy Group's ideas for trusted email senders

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 06:46:09 PDT

    Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 07:34:44 -0400
    From: Rich Kulawiec <rskat_private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: ePrivacy Group's idea: "Trusted Email Open Standard"

     > For the better part of two years I have been working with my colleagues at
     > ePrivacy Group to draft a roadmap towards a spam-free future (some of them
     > have been working on the problem for even longer than that).

    This is yet another completely misguided proposal that indicates a
    near-complete lack of understanding of the spam problem.  It seeks to
    re-engineer mail, which MAY be a worthwhile goal, but (a) will not stop
    spam and (b) therefore should not, as a process, be primarily driven by
    the spam problem.

    Spammers have already demonstrated great ingenuity in evading
    anti-spam measures and in switching to different propagation vectors:
    direct-to-screen pop-up window spam is increasing, and I've now seen
    several reports of direct-to-log spam.  TEOS will not solve this, nor
    will challenge-response, nor will so-called "trusted sender" measures,
    nor will spam filters, nor will anything else EXCEPT *removing the
    spammers from the Internet*.

    Most spam comes from a relatively small group (c.f. ROKSO, which has
    extensive documentation on this) of individuals.  Simply removing this
    group of ~200 people from the Internet, *permanently*, would do more
    to cut down on spam than all other measures combined.  It continues to
    fascinate me how this rather simple and obvious realization eludes some
    (and is deliberately ignored by others -- including those who have a
    chance to profit from the 'net's collective misery).

    It's worth noting that there was a time when spamming did in fact mean
    removal from the 'net -- and it's also worth noting that the slang term
    "spam" did not exist at that time, because it didn't need to: one doesn't
    need a word to describe a problem that doesn't exist.  It was only when
    spam-friendly ISPs ceased removing spammers instantly/permanently that
    spam began to become a serious problem (and thus required a handy name).

    It is well past time to return to this practice: which leaves us with
    only the question "When will Verio/AT&T/XO/Rackspace/QWest/Microsoft
    remove the career spammers that they KNOW are on their networks?",
    or, to put it another way, "Why should hundreds of millions of Internet
    users have to put up with spam for years when the permanent disconnection
    of a few hundred individuals would solve the majority of the problem
    in a single day?"

    ---Rsk

    ---