FC: Internet provider offers to host "Abortion Abolishionist" site

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 15:13:20 PDT

    Kudos to Dean Anderson for having the courage to host a site that he
    personally disagrees with. (Like Dean, I disagree with Neal Horsley's views
    on abortion but defend Neal's right to express them.)

    To respond to the points below, as for Verio, they own their own network:
    They have the right to set whatever terms of service they believe are
    reasonable, and their customers have the right to walk away if the
    contractual arrangements become too restrictive. But Verio's actions may
    still set a bad example. As a general rule, it seems better for companies
    that merely offer Internet connectivity to take a laissez-faire approach.
    Giving in to one set of activists (and you can be sure pro-choice activists
    were agitating for this) means you have less credibility if you hope to
    refuse the next set when they show up with their own complaints.

    See, for instance, the controversial First Church of Christ, Abortionist
    (which was an officially-recognized student organization at Carnegie Mellon
    University):
    http://web.archive.org/web/19990430035044/http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/org/fcca/homepage.htm

    As of 6 pm ET, the abortioncams.com and other sites are still accessible.