FC: Russian mail-order bride webmistress asks Politech for help

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 09:07:02 PDT

    I just got a phone call from Elena to follow up on her email message. As
    far as I can tell, the story goes like this:

    Elena runs a mail-order Russian bride web site based in Australia. A
    popular Australian TV program used screen snapshots from her web site to
    illustrate a program about immigration scams
    (http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/sixtyminutes/images/story_pics/2003_05_11/russian_115.jpg).
    Elena says this is unfair, that her business is above-board, and has sued
    the TV network. She also set up a protest site, mediadefamation.org, and it
    apparently been taken offline by its U.S.-based hosting service,
    webmasters.com. Elena believes the apparent removal was due to pressure
    from the Australian network, Channel 9.

    That's all I know. She's asking Politech members for suggestions.