FC: Vault.com admits sending bulk unsolicited email: "It's not spam!"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 12:35:57 PDT

    Globix.net: Vault.com has admitted to sending unsolicited bulk email in
    probable violation of your acceptable use policy.
    (http://www.globix.net/acceptable_use_policy.php) Please let me know what
    actions you choose to take.

    Everyone else: This is another nice attempt at redefining what spam is,
    just as we saw the Direct Marketing Association do earlier this week
    (http://www.politechbot.com/p-04958.html). We can argue about definitions
    at the margins, and there are some borderline cases, but most reasonable
    people would agree that bulk unsolicited email sent by automated means is
    spam. The fact that there's a possible human (who may or may not reply) on
    the other end does not make a difference.

    (Bonus tip at identifying spam: The spammer refuses to identify where they
    got your email address. Saying, as Vault.com does below, that "we have a
    machine" that scraped it from an unnamed web site is telling.)