FC: Duncan Frissell on the morality of gaming Safeway Club Cards

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 22:12:25 PDT

    Previous Politech messages:

    "Brad Templeton on terror probes, and grocery discount cards"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-03830.html

    "Fed up with those supermarket discount cards? Make your own"

    Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:35:03 -0400
    From: Duncan Frissell <frissellat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Wired News: Gaming the Safeway Club Card

    Libertarians who have been concerned about those who provide false
    information to obtain shopper's discount cards (or swap the cards or
    barcodes after obtaining them) can relax.  At least as far as Safeway is
    concerned, there's no contractual breach.  A spokesman with apparent
    authority to bind the Corporation has informed us that Safeway doesn't mind
    how creative its card users <get:%A0>get:

    http://wired.com/news/print/0,1294,59589,00.html

    For its part, Safeway isn't concerned about Cockerham's project and shrugs
    off any Big Brother accusations. "It's an odd sort of prank with not any
    significant impact at all on the operation of our card business," says
    Safeway spokesman Brian Dowling. "We work hard to protect the privacy of
    our customers, and don't believe there is any sound rationale behind what
    (Cockerham's) doing. But he can do whatever he wants."

    One can assume (in the absence of contrary evidence) that other companies
    share the same attitude towards their customers.  So I don't want to hear
    any more lectures about how we have to provide truthful info on card
    applications or forgo the discounts.