FC: FBI reportedly interrogates man for reading incorrect news article

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 22:09:41 PDT

    Politically incorrect, that is. --Declan

    ---

    http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/2003-07-17/rant.html

    Careful: The FB-eye may be watching
    Reading the wrong thing in public can get you in trouble

    BY MARC SCHULTZ

    "The FBI is here,"Mom tells me over the phone. Immediately I can see my mom
    with her back to a couple of Matrix-like figures in black suits and opaque
    sunglasses, her hand covering the mouthpiece like Grace Kelly in Dial M for
    Murder. This must be a joke, I think. But it's not, because Mom isn't that
    funny.

    "The who?" I say.

    "Two FBI agents. They say you're not in trouble, they just want to talk.
    They want to come to the store."

    I work in a small, independent bookstore, and since it's a slow Tuesday
    afternoon, I figure, "Sure." Someone I know must have gotten some
    government work, I think; hadn't my consultant friend spoken recently of
    getting rolled onto some government job? Background check, I think,
    interviewing acquaintances ... No big deal, right? Then, of course, I make
    a big deal about it in front of my co-workers.

    "That was my mom," I tell them. "The FBI's coming for me." They laugh; it's
    a good joke, especially when the FBI actually shows up. They are not the
    bogeymen I had been expecting. They're dressed casually, they speak
    familiarly, but they are big. The one in front stands close to 7 feet, and
    you can tell his partner is built like a bulldog under his baggy shirt and
    shorts.

    "You Marc Schultz?" asks the tall one. He shows me his badge, introduces
    himself as Special Agent Clay Trippi. After assuring me that I'm not in
    trouble, he asks if there is someplace we can sit down and talk. We head
    back to Reference, where a table and chairs are set up. We sit down, and
    I'm again informed that I am not in trouble.