FC: Ross Stapleton-Gray on state department sharing visa info

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2003 - 21:07:16 PDT

    Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 00:08:29 -0700
    To: declanat_private, politechat_private
    From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <amicusat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: State Department sharing JPEG visa photos with CIA,
       others?

    At 01:20 AM 9/9/03 -0400, Nick Kralevich wrote:
    >What's interesting about this year's change is that all applications are
    >now submitted electronically.  Included with each application is a JPEG
    >photo of the person submitting the application.
    >
    >In the past, even the paper versions of the Diversity Visa have been
    >subject to privacy concerns.  Now that the data is being submitted
    >electronically, one can only imagine how the data may be abused.

    But this pales in comparison to plans to open up State's holdings of visa
    applicant information to law enforcement, as reported in the NYT back in
    January:

    NATIONAL DESK | January 31, 2003, Friday
    THREATS AND RESPONSES: LAW ENFORCEMENT; State Dept. Link Will Open Visa
    Database to Police Officers
    []
    By JENNIFER 8. LEE (NYT) 946 words
    Late Edition - Final , Section A , Page 12 , Column 1
    ABSTRACT - American law enforcement officials across country will soon have
    access to database of 50 million overseas applications for US visas,
    including photos of 20 million applicants; database will provide personal
    information and is central feature of computer system linkup, scheduled
    within next month, that will tie together State Dept, intelligence
    agencies, FBI and police departments; photo (M)

    That article is now in the NYT archives, so it'll cost you to retrueve it,
    but I don't recall any discussion there of oversight, or any proposal for
    monitoring, e.g., to detect if some deputy sheriff posted near the Mexican
    border is combing records for candidates to put the squeeze on to be drug
    mules, say.

    Ross Stapleton-Gray, Ph.D., CISSP
    amicusat_private
    http://www.fuzzycloud.com