FC: Scott Matthews and EFF on Salon about file-sharing rhetoric

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 14 2003 - 23:18:50 PDT

    From: "Scott Matthews" <scottat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: Me & EFF on Salon about file-sharing rhetoric
    Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:18:20 -0400

    Hi Declan,

    I thought Politech readers might be interested in this pair of articles on
    Salon: a critique I wrote about file-sharing rhetoric, along with a response
    prepared by the EFF.

    My critique of the file-sharing debates:
    http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/09/12/file_sharing_one/

    The EFF's response:
    http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/09/12/file_sharing_two/

    I typically sympathize with civil liberties groups like the EFF, but they
    avoid addressing privacy and free speech concerns raised by the new
    copyright systems that they're advocating.  The incessant representation of
    the file-sharing debates as a struggle between an evil oligopoly and the
    bold freedom fighters resisting it hides complicated truths.

    speak soon,
    Scott Matthews
    http://www.turnstyle.com/andromeda