[Politech] EFF's Fred von Lohmann replies to Politech over RIAA lawsuit [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 00:51:19 PDT

    Previous Politech message (probably just a temporary location):
    http://politechbot.com/pipermail/politech/2003-September/000002.html

    ---

    Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:00:04 -0700
    Subject: [Politech] RIAA responds to Politech over EFF note on lawsuit
    amnesty [ip]
    From: Fred von Lohmann EFF <fred@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

    Declan,

    A brief rejoinder seems in order, in light of Cary's letter to the editor
    responding to my op-ed regarding the RIAA's Clean Slate "amnesty" program.

    First, Cary fails to respond at all to the main point of the piece -- the
    proposal that the major record labels offer a *real* amnesty to
    file-sharers in exchange for a reasonable monthly fee. This is what the
    music publishers opted to do in the face of that earlier scourge of
    copyright, broadcast radio. Today, ASCAP and BMI manage to divide up a very
    large pot of money for their members, without insisting on control over
    what radio stations play or what kind of transmitting equipment they use.
    Sure beats suing thousands of individuals in a futile attempt to intimidate
    tens of millions more.

    Second, Cary claims that the RIAA's "amnesty" program provides assurance
    that repentant file-sharers "won't be sued by any of the major record
    companies." Well, that's not what it says on the "Clean Slate" description
    page (see http://www.musicunited.org/cleanSlateDesc.pdf). There, the RIAA
    merely promises that it will not assist copyright owners in suing you. It
    does not promise that its record company members won't sue you anyway. If
    they decide to sue you, they can use DMCA subpoenas to get your name from
    your ISP, then can subpoena RIAA records to find out whether you signed up
    for the "Clean Slate" program.

    Third, Cary asks "what would be the rationale -- public relations or
    legally -- for suing someone who has promised to stop illegal behavior when
    there are tens of thousands of other targets?" Yet the RIAA is refusing to
    grant amnesty to anyone who it has already begun investigating (and woe to
    the unlucky ones who sign the "amnesty" before discovering that they are
    already under suspicion and thus ineligible). So evidently there is some
    rationale for suing those who promise to stop file-sharing, since the RIAA
    is reserving the right to do it. Perhaps to "send a message" as Cary would
    say. Can Cary promise that no other copyright owners will take the path
    he's blazing?

    Fred von Lohmann
    Senior Staff Attorney
    Electronic Frontier Foundation