[Politech] The Political Profile Project launches for election 2004

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 00:52:30 PDT

    Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:54:01 -0500
    From: Matthew Hunter <matthew@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

    Something to consider for the Politech list:
    http://www.triggerfinger.org/weblog/entry/3725.jsp

    One of the problems I have always faced, going into an election,
    is figuring out who to vote for. Sometimes it's easy; if there's
    a Libertarian running, he or she gets my vote. But if not, I have
    to try and synthesize what I have read and researched on each
    candidate, where they stand on the issues, judge whether they
    will keep their word if elected, and so on. And in many cases,
    there's just not much information available -- who publishes
    information about the local race for dogcatcher?

    What about what the major candidates have said in the past --
    have they changed their positions after being elected? Or maybe
    said things that they would rather disown when actually facing an
    election? To some degree, honest journalists seek to provide that
    sort of analysis. But their political views rarely match mine,
    most people don't exactly build a scrapbook of analysis to review
    when deciding who to vote for, and frankly, most "journalists"
    these days seem more interested in rewriting an AP article with
    some local quotes for color than actually doing thoughtful
    research.

    But what if I could actually go back over all the articles
    written about a candidate in the past -- perhaps along with some
    thoughtful analysis and commentary? That would help immensely in
    deciding who to vote for, simply by providing all the information
    in one place for each candidate in each race. And thus was born
    what I call The Political Profile Project.

    Beginning with the 2004 Presidential Election, I have decided to
    collect all of the articles I can about each of the candidates.
    Each will get their own category within the triggerfinger weblog.
    I will post the articles I find to those categories in order to
    aid others in reviewing the candidates and making their
    decisions.

    And here's where you can help. There are far too many candidates
    and races for me to cover myself, even if the Presidential race
    is the only one really active at the moment. The others will
    continue to grow in prominence and coverage as we move closer and
    closer to the 2004 election. And I will need your help to keep up
    with as much of the coverage as I can.

    --
    Matthew Hunter (matthew@private)
    Public Key: http://matthew.infodancer.org/public_key.txt