[Politech] ACLU's Barry Steinhardt on showing ID and "building privacy" [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 07:01:41 PDT

    Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:42:25 -0400
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    From: Barry Steinhardt <BSteinhardt@private>
    Subject: Re: [Politech] Privacy questions about entering buildings,
       showing ID [priv]

    Declan,

    The short answer to this question is "No!". There are no laws or
    regulations governing the requirement that you show an ID to get into a
    building or what is done with data that is collected. The data can be held
    indefinitely and can combined with other data.

    This is only one example illustrating the creeping surveillance society
    where our every action and utterance is being collected and catalogued. It
    is not too late to put some chains on this monster by enacting common sense
    privacy laws that govern when data can be collected and how it can be use.

    Barry Steinhardt
    ACLU

    ---