[Politech] Joab Jackson on supermarket loyalty cards: shopper beware?

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 06:59:18 PDT

    [Of course nobody's forcing shoppers to sign up for such cards; if you
    don't like stores that offer them, take your business
    elsewhere. --Declan]

    ---

    Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 08:52:01 -0400
    Subject: Card Games
    From: Rob Carlson <rob@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>

    Card Games

    Should Buyers Beware of How Supermarkets Use "Loyalty Cards" to
    Collect Personal Data?

    By Joab Jackson
    Baltimore City Paper

    Everyone gets worn down and submits, eventually.  Even the most
    resistant. Even Rob Carlson, a privacy-minded person who hated the
    idea of having a supermarket savings card.

    [...]

    "My job is to design and maintain databases, and I'm constantly amazed
    at the things that can be discovered when you have enough data and you
    know how to ask the right questions," Carlson says. "I think a lot of
    people who use a supermarket club card either don't realize what data
    is being collected about them, or don't care."

    [...]

    http://www.citypaper.com/2003-10-01/feature.html

    --
    Rob Carlson  rob@private  http://vees.net/