[Politech] Unexpectedly, VeriSign backs down on "SiteFinder" redirection

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 19:44:21 PDT

    Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:11:33 -0400
    From: Robert MacMillan <robert.macmillan@private>
    Subject: verisign temporarily shuts down site finder
    To: declan@private

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40241-2003Oct3.html

    ---

    Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 23:27:01 +0200
    To: declan@private
    From: Henrik Nilsson <henrik.nilsson@private>
    Subject: SiteFinder Unfound

    Well, you've probably seen the news by now:
    VeriSign, the administrator of the .com and .net domains, shut down its new
    SiteFinder service on Friday after the Internet Corporation for Assigned
    Names and Numbers ordered the company to undo controversial changes

    http://rss.com.com/2100-1032_3-5086101.html?tag=st_lh

    The immensly (spelling?) capable ICANN CEO Paul Twomey told the domain name
    registrar that it had until 6 p.m. PDT on Saturday to comply with a request
    to take down the SiteFinder service.

    As some may recall, excitable elements among the Internet community were up
    in arms over "Governments" failure to act over Verisign's venture,
    disregarding the time-honored experience that
    1). A great many problems will coerrct themselves, given some modicum of time.
    2). Chances are that when a Government steps in to resolve a problem,
    chances are that unforseen circumstances will cause many affected people to
    wish it hadn't.

    In this case, our experience may end at 1).
    Let's hope it doesn't run to 2).

    Yours, etc,

    Henrik Nilsson
    Stockholm, Sweden
    ex- Government Internet Bureaucrat (now in private practise
    http://www.twobirds.com )

    ---