[Politech] European Commission study weighs privacy vs. security [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 23:09:37 PDT

    Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:20:11 +0200
    To: <declan@private>
    From: Ioannis Maghiros <Ioannis.Maghiros@private>
    Subject: Study by the European Commission's DG-JRC on the balance
       between security and privacy

    Declan,

    I thought you (and other politech members) might be interested in a study
    named "

    Security and privacy for the citizen in the Post-September 11 digital age:
    A prospective overview"

    that was just delivered to the European Parliament.
    The Report is available at: <ftp://ftp.jrc.es/pub/EURdoc/eur20823en.pdf>
    The official press release of the European Commission is at:
    <http://europa.eu.int/rapid/start/cgi/guestfr.ksh?p_action.getfile=gf&doc=IP/03/1344|0|RAPID&lg=EN&type=PDF>
    see also WashingtonPost press note on the report at:
    <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52211-2003Oct6.html>

    Thanks, Rgds,

    P.S. We met briefly during CFP2003 in NY  and I hope that the report
    material would be of interest to CFP04 participants as I am considering
    presenting it there.