[Politech] Query to Politech over cardscan.net and privacy [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 23:08:51 PDT

    Please obscure my contact information if you post this to politech;  you can
    refer to me as simply "Erik".

    I got a message from an IT research vendor to whom I gave a business card at
    a trade show recently.  The representative uploaded my contact information to
    a site called cardscan.net. This site in turn sent me an email on the
    representative's behalf stating that I was being asked to update my
    information and that others who may also have my information and who use
    Cardscan's services would also receive the updated information.  I was given
    the chance to opt out (sounds kinda spammy, don't it?) and I did.  Their
    privacy policy (http://www.corex.com/privacy.asp?csnet=1) seems at first
    glance to be privacy friendly but I still have a few problems with the
    concept of the service in general:

    - I am not given the chance to opt in
    - Personal data is transferred without my knowledge or consent
    - Opt-out is the default

    Do you know of anyone else who might have complained about this?  Am I being
    too overly privacy-sensitive?  Is the mention of this service worthwhile to
    Politech readers?

    Thanks,
    [x]