[Politech] Replies to U.S. Postal Service dislikes anonymous mail [fs][priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 21:53:44 PST

    Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 22:34:32 -0500
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm-int@htt-consult.com>
    Subject: Re: [Politech] U.S. Postal Service doesn't like anonymous
       physical mail [fs][priv]

    Have you given any thought to what it would take to really have this work?

    Everyone would need a tempus-class mail signer that had a digital cert from
    some trusted root.

    They would have to put a unique number on the mailing (160 bits, probably)
    and then use the signer to create a digital sig of that number and this
    would also be on the mail.

    Just about anything else could be forged.

    Nah, even this really doesn't work.  The PO would have to keep a log of all
    these numbers and make sure they were never reused, to avoid spoofing of
    even them.....

    So ANYTHING they do is just window-dressing and a money sink.

    ---