[Politech] EFF's Templeton and Cohn reply to a mild defense of the RIAA [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 21:53:04 PST

    Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:44:13 -0800
    From: Brad Templeton <brad@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    Cc: politech@private
    Subject: Re: [Politech] A mild defense of the RIAA and "anti-piracy" caucus
    [ip]

    On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:25:16AM -0500, Declan McCullagh wrote:
     > [This is not merrely flamebait. Czarina may be wrong, but I know her well
     > enough to say she honestly believes this. :) --Declan]

    Nor should it be.  Let me say as chairman of the organization that has
    been most prominent against the RIAA that largely we agree with her!

    We're not particularly fond of the word "stealing" to be applied to
    the civil tort of copyright infringement, but that doesn't mean that
    ripping off musical artists is right.  It's not the same as literally
    walking into a store and lifting physical goods, but creators nonetheless
    deserve to be compensated when people use and take their work.

    Naturally the RIAA and MPAA portray this as about stealing, and even
    pretend it's about stealing from the artists.  (Though frankly, through
    their abuse of oligopoly power, they are better at it than Napster
    users ever were.)   And indeed, some people out there are simply out
    to get all their music without paying, and Czarina is right to condemn
    them.

    We're involved not because music should be free, but because technology
    should be free, and the RIAA has taken upon itself an attack on
    technology.   We're involved because the only future the RIAA and MPAA
    see is to put digital and legal walls around all media, and controls on
    all players of media including all your general purpose computers.
    We're involved because they pass laws like the DMCA which encourage
    companies to threaten lawsuits against students who publish that holding
    the shift key down when you insert a CD into a Windows PC will disable
    the copy protection.

    The RIAA's answer of DRM is wrong, so we're looking for better answers.
    Since it's clear the public will fileshare -- right or wrong -- regardless
    of what is done, it seems the only answer is to find a way to get
    creators compensated when this happens.  To truly rewrite copyright law
    to match the realities of the digital age and give those rewards
    to the creators as is intended.

    We welcome other answers as well.  But the "answer" of DRM and the
    DMCA and proposed rules like the CDTPA, Broadcast flag etc. is no
    answer in a free society with free technology.

    ---