[Politech] Why not to mirror Diebold documents: privacy concerns [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh (declan@private)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 04:50:47 PST

    Subject: Re: [Politech] Diebold nastygrams Politech member over internal
    	letters [fs]
    From: Erick Peirson <erick@private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declan@private>
    Date: 01 Nov 2003 15:00:24 -0800

    Hey Declan,

    I would advise Mr. Hall that this campaign affects more than just
    Diebold. There is a vast amount of personal information of employees,
    completely unrelated to the issue at hand, contained in the tarball.
    Civil disobedience does not necessitate the abandonment of morals. The
    publication of private phone numbers and other personal information is
    not justified by the goals that these people are trying to reach.

    I, for one, would be willing to support this cause by erecting a mirror,
    however I will not do so while the movement neglects consideration of
    the scope of their influence. Publishing the personal information of
    employees will gain them no ground in their fight, and may place them in
    a bad light in the perspective of people like myself.

    Peace.
    Erick